In a westerly direction 22 km from the centre of Bulawayo is Zimbabwe’s second most important historic ruin. On a hillock overlooking the Khame (‘slow moving’) River, lies an intriguing pile of ancient, granite stone walls and terraces covering hundreds of acres of land and overlooking the Khame Dam and gorge.
Discovered in 1897 the ruins of Khame are believed to date back to the 17th century. Formerly known as Khami, this complex of ruins is all that remains of one of the most impressive stone-walled settlements of pre-historic Zimbabwe and was one of the last to be inhabited in the country. Now a World heritage Site, Khame is reputed to have been built by the Rozwi section of the Karanga tribe. The Rozwi culture at Khame dates back to A.D. 915 and persisted until the 17th century. Many interesting relics of their occupation have been found including the discovery of a Dominican cross in the middle of the enclosure which indicated the presence of a Portuguese missionary.
Khame is a remarkably interesting place. A small museum displays relics and artefacts found in the area.